TurnaSure: A History of Bolting Innovation
Turner & CooperOriginally established as gun manufacturers in 1805 and a co-founder of BSA, (Birmingham Small Arms) of England, the Turner Companies sold their gun making business interests in 1912 and founded Cooper & Turner Ltd in Sheffield to develop industrial fastening systems and production methods, mainly for rivets. Coinciding with the introduction of High Strength Friction Grip Bolts replacing rivets in buildings and bridges, Max Turner of Cooper & Turner invented in 1962 a load-indicating washer. This innovation helped Cooper & Turner become one of the largest fastener manufacturers in the UK. This simple, accurate, and cost effective method of inspecting for proper bolt tension and has been successfully used for close to half a century.
Cooper & Turner U.K. established Cooper & Turner Inc of the USA in 1972 following a licensing arrangement with Bethlehem Steel to help promote the use of the then "Coronet" Load Indicator in North America.
The Founding of TurnaSureIn 1986 Cooper and Turner Inc of the USA was purchased by a member of the Turner family who formed TurnaSure LLC, an entirely American organization concentrating solely on manufacturing load indicating washers. They discontinued manufacturing the Coronet Load Indicator design and fully re- engineered and re-designed the load indicator concept. Today's patented versions, all developed in the United States, are known as Direct Tension Indicators (DTIs) or Tension Indicator Washers/Load Indicating Washers (LIWs).
Over the past 40 years, its legacy company, then in 1998 becoming TurnaSure LLC, has supplied Direct Tension Indicators (DTIs) to companies across the United States and around the world. TurnaSure has also developed a myriad of DTI designs for multiple applications beyond their traditional market for Structural Steel.
As a leading manufacturer of bolting technology, TurnaSure is a global supplier of Direct Tension Indicators (DTIs).